Easy Cheese Fondue Recipe
It can be hard to find an easy cheese fondue recipe that can please kids. Most cheese fondue recipes are wine or beer-based, but the recipe provided here does not contain any alcohol and the cranberries mixed in the cheese help make this a success with children's tastebuds.
As I'm sure you're aware, fondue presents some safety hazards due to its very nature (melted cheese IS hot!) and many pots require an open flame. Adults must be present at all times to supervise any fondue event.
To make it safer for all, you can use an electric pot instead of the traditional gel or alcohol-based burners, which will eliminate many of the fire hazards. You may be interested in using a pot such as the Cuisinart electric fondue maker shown above, which gets high reviews from Amazon customers (you can read these reviews by clicking here).
Easy Cheese Fondue Recipe Without Alcohol
|15 ml||(1 tbsp)||Butter or margarine|
|1||Garlic clove, thinly chopped|
|30 ml||(2 tbsp)||Green onion, thinly chopped|
|250 ml||(1 cup)||Unsweetened white grape or apple juice|
|80 ml||(1/3 cup)||Dried cranberries|
|5 ml||(1 tsp)||Dried rosemary|
|15 ml||(1 tbsp)||Cornstarch|
|115 g||(1/4 lb)||Swiss cheese, shredded|
|115 g||(1/4 lb)||Cheddar cheese, shredded|
|225 g||(1/2 lb)||Gouda cheese, shredded (remove rind first)|
|Pepper to taste|
|Assorted dippers such as steamed broccoli, asparagus and cauliflower, button mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, pear slices, apple slices or mild pepperoni sticks|
1. Turn on your fondue pot and melt the butter. Add the garlic and green onion and cook for two minutes while stirring.
2. Add the juice, cranberries and rosemary and let it simmer for about 4 minutes.
3. With burner on low heat, add the cornstarch and shredded cheese, one handful at a time, until all of it is melted. With a wooden spoon, mix well and stir continuously.
4. Add pepper to taste.
5. If the mixture is too hard, add juice. If the mixture is too soft, add cheese.
6. Dip bite-sized pieces of steamed broccoli, asparagus and cauliflower, button mushrooms, pear slices, apple slices or mild pepperoni sticks.
7. Let the dipped pieces cool off for a few seconds, then enjoy and repeat!
Tip: If you ask your children to make a figure 8 while dipping, it will turn this meal (or appetizer) into a game while ensuring the cheese mixture gets constantly stirred.
Check out the other easy cheese fondue recipes listed on the left of this page.
Have your say about what you just read! Leave your comments in the box below.