Neat Cheese Fondue Idea...
This original cheese fondue idea is perfect for those who love Swiss fondue but may be getting a little bored with the traditional way of serving it.
What happens when you combine traditional French soup with Swiss cheese fondue?
You get an oven-baked dish that includes layers of cheese and bread... (minus the onion broth part).
This recipe requires a pot that can go in the oven like the Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 2-Quart Round French Oven as well as a deep and larger oven-safe pan
in which you'll place the pot and surround it with water.
Baked Swiss Fondue Recipe
||Slices of White Bread
||American Cheese or Colby Cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
2. Butter both sides of the bread slices.
3. Cut each slice into bite-sized pieces (about 2.5 cm or 1" cubes).
4. Cover the bottom of your pot with a layer of bread pieces (1/2 of bread pieces).
5. Cover the bread layer with 1/2 cheese.
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 (add bread layer + cheese layer).
7. Mix the eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard and pepper and pour over the top layer of cheese.
8. Place the pot in the center of an oven-proof pan and fill the pan with water until you surround about 1/2 height of your cheese pot.
9. Cook uncovered in the oven for about 80 to 90 minutes, or until cheese has melted, swollen and become golden on top.
10. Serve (but careful... it's VERY hot!)
So yes... this wasn't a "fondue" recipe per se, but with the melted Swiss cheese and bread pieces, I couldn't resist but include it in my collection of fondue recipes.
You can find lots of traditional fondue recipes here on this site.